Small utility to generate complicated passwords
(see also the GUI edition: https://github.com/hasherezade/jpassword_scrambler )
- You get more secure password- long, not from dictionary, etc i.e 'txork9Zfa8yXc_lMbb1LCHPZIH7wE1'
- Yet, you don't have to remeber it - you must remember only your easy password and document that you used as a generation base
- You may reuse the easy password and the base file - still, for different [email protected] you will get a totally new long password
- It is not saving your complicated password anywhere, so nobody can steal it and decrypt - it generates it by hasing function and you just need to copy it and login where you want
- Open source, written in python - nothing is hidden under the hood, everyone can review it before using and make custom changes in code
How it works:
./passcrambler.py --help usage: passcrambler.py [-h] --file FILE --login LOGIN [--special SPECIAL] [--length LENGTH] [--clip] [--scramble-func FUNC] Password scrambler optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --file FILE File used to initialize generation --login LOGIN Login for which you want to use the password --special SPECIAL Whitelist of special characters, i.e: '_&#' --length LENGTH Length of the password, default=30 --clip Copy the generated password into the clipboard instead of displaying --scramble-func FUNC Hashing function to use for input data scrambling, default=md5. Other functions can be found on hashlib module documentation.
./passcrambler.py --file MyPhoto.jpg --login [email protected] Password: _password123_ --- txork9Zfa8yXc_lMbb1LCHPZIH7wE1 ---
- I need to generate a new password i.e. for my e-mail
- I have to prepare 2 things : an easy password, that I will remember and some document, that I have to keep safe without changes
- I deploy password scrambler giving as an input my login and a document
- I am prompted for the easy password, so I type it
- I copy generated password and change it in my e-mail service
- Wherever I need to re-login I just deploy scrambler with same parameters, and it will regenerate the same hash