This repository is for tracking progress on climate dataset mirroring. It uses this site's issues tracker to keep track of progress on mirroring climate datasets. Each dataset will have its own issue for discussion of mirroring, as well as location of mirrors and who is doing the work.
For quickstart information, see below. For a thorough guide to getting involved, including options besides mirroring data, see this document
In this document:
Mirroring a Dataset
If you would like to start mirroring a dataset, assign the issue to yourself so that we know who is handling it. When the mirror is online, leave a comment on the issue indicating the URL of the new mirror. If you know of a mirror to an existing dataset, please leave the mirror URL as a comment. Tools for mirroring data can be found at http://climatemirror.org.
When choosing a dataset:
- Datasets labeled "[No Mirrors](https://github.com/climate-mirror/datasets/issues?&q=is%3Aissue is%3Aopen sort%3Acreated-asc label%3A"No Mirrors")" are most vulnerable still:
- Datasets with labels for "[Single Mirror](https://github.com/climate-mirror/datasets/issues?&q=is%3Aissue is%3Aopen sort%3Acreated-asc label%3A"Single Mirror")" or "[Offline Mirror](https://github.com/climate-mirror/datasets/issues?&q=is%3Aissue is%3Aopen sort%3Acreated-asc label%3A"Offline Mirror")" are less vulnerable, but could still use copying.
- Datasets with labels for "Multiple Mirrors" do not currently need more mirrors in comparison to the others, though if you would prefer to mirror one of these datasets, it is still helpful!
Contributing a New Dataset
To start, search the issues in this repository for keywords related to your dataset to see if it is already being handled. If there is not an open issue for the dataset already, create a new issue for it and include the following:
- In the title, include the dataset name
- In the body, include any descriptive information necessary to make a mirror of the dataset. At a minimum, include the web URL for the dataset descriptions (home page) as well as any hosted versions of the dataset on FTP or HTTP that can be downloaded.
- Optionally, include the size of the dataset, if known, and the responsible agency.
- If you have already created a mirror of this dataset, or know of an existing mirror, then please include the URLs of those mirrors in the issue description.
- If you are working on mirroring the data, assign the issue to yourself. If not, leave it blank.
- Depending on how many mirrors you provided in the links, assign the label "No Mirrors", "One Mirror" or "Two or More Mirrors" to the issue to help people filter by datasets that need mirroring.
New Dataset Submission Template
If you'd like, you can use the below as a simplified template for your submission:
- Dataset Homepage:
- Dataset Bulk Download Link (if available):
- Mirror URLs:
- Mirrored By:
- Responsible Agency:
That's it! If you have other questions, see http://climatemirror.org