goSDL is a web application tool that serves as a self-service entry point for following a Security Development Lifecycle checklist in a software development project. This tool collects relevant information about the feature, determines the risk rating, and generates the appropriate security requirements. The tool tailors the checklist to the developers’ specific needs, without providing unnecessary unrelated security requirements. Security experts can establish custom security guidance and requirements as checklist items for all developers. This checklist is used as a guide and reference for building secure software. This encourages a security mindset among developers when working on a project and can be used to easily track the completion of security goals for that project.
- Self service : Provide self service tool for Project Lead or Developer to get a Security checklist related to their project.
- Specific : Project Lead or Developer can pick and choose specific components related to their projects. The tool will tailor the checklist to their specific needs without providing unnecessary unrelated checklist items.
- Standardize : Security team can create a standardized risk assessment and checklist related items throughout the organization.
- Pluggable and customized components : JSON base components that are easy to modify and update.
At the middle or near the end of completion of a project, have a technical person complete the SDL form.
After the initial risk assessment is completed, please complete the Component checklist on the next page. The person filling out this form should check anything that is relevant to the code / feature (language-wise and context-wise) and uncheck anything that they know will always be irrelevant to the project. It's ok to check more things than you need, as there's a way to "uncheck" them later.
After the form is submitted there will be a JIRA ticket or Trello board created with the checklist items.
The goal of the SDL is to have everything checked off. If there is an issue with one of the items, please feel free to ask the Security team for advice and steps on how to move forward. Ideally, a fully-completed SDL checklist will expedite the security review requirement.
Trello is a web-based project management application that has powerful checklist support to enable you to organize your projects.
To use Trello as part of this tool, enable the Trello setting in the
include/.env. You also need to generate your Trello application key from https://trello.com/app-key. When using Trello, you don't need to specify any other setting in this file.
When the web page loads, it will require the user to authorize the app to get their access token to Trello. The output of this tool will create a link to a Trello board that contains security checklist items that can be used by the development team to follow the security guidelines.
Using JIRA Enterprise
Currently, this tool only supports JIRA Enterprise (on Premise) and doesn't support JIRA Cloud. This is because we need the support from scriptrunner to create the additional REST API endpoint used to populate the checklist plugin. There are some Add-on dependencies required in your JIRA before using this tool:
- ScriptRunner for Jira Required to create an additional JIRA API to update custom checklist in a ticket.
- Checklist for Jira Enables the checklist custom field in JIRA tickets.
Add a custom REST API in scriptrunner.
- Go to "Administration" -> "Script Runner" -> "Custom Endpoint"
- Fill out the
inline scriptwith the script in
Create the checklist custom field for each individual SDL component. These custom fields will be used as a placeholder template for the security checklist item.
- Go to "Administration" -> "Issue" -> "Custom Fields" -> "add custom field"
- Enter "SDL General" as the name. Configure the checklist custom field to not have a default option. You can also associate the new checklist custom field with a specific issue type.
- Also note your custom field id when configuring the new custom field. You can get the id # from the URL (e.g https://your_domain.com/secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=11909). The custom field id on this sample is "customfield_11909". This value is required when setting the
- Later you need to update your JIRA screen to include this new checklist custom field. Please reach out to your JIRA adminstrator to get more information on how to setup your project with custom checklist.
After setting your project, you need to set the
.envfile. Sample file:
JIRA_USERNAME=username JIRA_PASSWORD=password JIRA_PROJECT=PRODSEC JIRA_URL="https://your_domain.com" JIRA_GENERAL_FIELD=customfield_111 JIRA_LANGUAGE_FIELD=customfield_112 JIRA_NATIVE_FIELD=customfield_113 JIRA_PARSING_FIELD=customfield_114 JIRA_WEB_FIELD=customfield_115 JIRA_THRIDPARTY_FIELD=customfield_116 JIRA_LEGAL_FIELD=customfield_117 JIRA_QA_FIELD=customfield_118
JIRA_USERNAME : username of you jira account. Highly recomended to use a service account in your jira
JIRA_PASSWORD : your jira account password
JIRA_PROJECT : your JIRA project key (e.g. PRODSEC)
JIRA_URL : your JIRA enterprise API (e.g. "JIRA_URL="https://your_domain.com)
JIRA_GENERAL_FIEL : checklist custom field for SDL General (e.g. customfield_11909)
JIRA_LANGUAGE_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Language
JIRA_NATIVE_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Native Clients
JIRA_PARSING_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Parsing
JIRA_WEB_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Web
JIRA_THRIDPARTY_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Third Party and External
JIRA_LEGAL_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL Legal & Policy
JIRA_QA_FIELD : checklist custom field for SDL QA
git clone [email protected]:slackhq/goSDL.git
cp include/env-sample include/.envthen modify the
.envsetting to fit with your enviroment.
TRELLO=true TRELLO_API_KEY= JIRA_USERNAME= JIRA_PASSWORD= JIRA_PROJECT= JIRA_URL= JIRA_GENERAL_FIELD= JIRA_LANGUAGE_FIELD= JIRA_NATIVE_FIELD= JIRA_PARSING_FIELD= JIRA_WEB_FIELD= JIRA_THRIDPARTY_FIELD= JIRA_LEGAL_FIELD= JIRA_QA_FIELD=
php -S localhost:8000
Usage with docker
docker build -t gosdl .
docker run -ti --rm --env-file
-p 8080:8080 gosdl
Customize the checklist contents
Follow this guide to understand the structures of the SDL contents.