A list of addictive applications to avoid, reasons for why they are addictive, and how to protect yourself from falling to addiction.
I wanted to create this repository to document and highlight addictive nature of many of the apps and websites, their features and their side effects. Please contribute your experience and knowledge on various apps around the world as it will help others avoid or / and come out of these addictive and often financially, mentally and physically destructive platforms.
Ongoing list of things todo:
- Add apps from around the world and examples of features they use that end up exploiting customer psychology and create addiction.
- Add research as well as new articles about the specific apps and malpractices that enable such addiction (instances and case studies).
- Add annecdotes of people who have been addicted to these platforms (anonymised stories).
- Add annecdotes of people who have managed to come up out such addiction.
- Add research and resources to the science and economics behind such practices for people seeking to help themselves.
Different addictive methods used to make you spend more money, time etc:
- Automatic subscription to SMS & Push Notifications
- Flash Ads (ex: a 2-3 sec video of pizza, this is enough to make you crave food and restart the cycle of addiction)
- Discount fraud / Manipulation
- Surge pricing
- Timeline manipulation
- Infinite scrolling
- No useful rating / comment system (You can't like / upvote / downvote / dislike, cannot sort by or filter by in a reasonable manner, even if you try the results are not chronological as you would expect)
We cannot blame technology for the situation we are increasingly finding ourselves in, and although they may seem naive at first glance, they are just as dangerous as radiation if left unchecked, who knows they might end up or are already effecting entire generations!
- Outdated laws around gambling, gamification in the digital world
- Automated Push Notifications
Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) Platforms
Food Delivery Platforms