iText 7. Only security fixes will be addedPLEASE NOTE: iText 5 is EOL, and has been replaced by
We HIGHLY recommend customers use iText 7 for new projects, and to consider moving existing projects from iText 5 to iText 7 to benefit from the many improvements such as:
- HTML to PDF (PDF/UA) conversion
- PDF Redaction
- SVG support
- Better language support: Indic, Thai, Khmer, Arabic, Hebrew. (Close-source addon)
- PDF Debugging for your IDE
- Data Extraction
- Better continued support and bugfixes
- More modular, extensible handling of your document workflow
- Extra practical add-ons
- Encryption, hashing & digital signatures
iText 5 consists of several jars.
The main release contains:
itextpdf-x.y.z.jar: the core library
itext-xtra-x.y.z.jar: extra functionality (PDF 2!)
itext-pdfa-x.y.z.jar: PDF/A-related functionality
xmlworker-x.y.z.jar: XML (and HTML) functionality
iText 5 is hosted on https://github.com/itext/itextpdf
You can find the latest releases here:
You can also build iText 5 from source.
We also have RUPS — a tool that can help you debug PDFs. It's hosted on http://github.com/itext/rups
If you have an idea on how to improve iText 5 and you want to submit code, please read our Contribution Guidelines.
iText is licensed as AGPL software.
AGPL is a free / open source software license.
This doesn't mean the software is gratis!
Buying a license is mandatory as soon as you develop commercial activities distributing the iText software inside your product or deploying it on a network without disclosing the source code of your own applications under the AGPL license. These activities include:
- offering paid services to customers as an ASP
- serving PDFs on the fly in the cloud or in a web application
- shipping iText with a closed source product
Contact sales for more info: http://itextpdf.com/sales