This readme and related documentation are Work in Progress.
Chaos Mesh is a cloud-native Chaos Engineering platform that orchestrates chaos on Kubernetes environments. At the current stage, it has the following components:
- Chaos Operator: the core component for chaos orchestration. Fully open sourced.
- Chaos Dashboard: a visualized panel that shows the impacts of chaos experiments on the online services of the system; under development; currently only supports chaos experiments on TiDB(https://github.com/pingcap/tidb).
See the following demo video for a quick view of Chaos Mesh:
Chaos Operator injects chaos into the applications and Kubernetes infrastructure in a manageable way, which provides easy, custom definitions for chaos experiments and automatic orchestration. There are three components at play:
Controller-manager: used to schedule and manage the lifecycle of CRD objects
Chaos-daemon: runs as daemonset with privileged system permissions over network, Cgroup, etc. for a specific node
Sidecar: a special type of container that is dynamically injected into the target Pod by the webhook-server, which can be used for hijacking I/O of the application container.
Chaos Operator uses Custom Resource Definition (CRD) to define chaos objects. The current implementation supports three types of CRD objects for fault injection, namely PodChaos, NetworkChaos, IOChaos, and TimeChaos, which correspond to the following major actions (experiments):
- pod-kill: The selected pod is killed (ReplicaSet or something similar may be needed to ensure the pod will be restarted).
- pod-failure: The selected pod will be unavailable in a specified period of time.
- container-kill: The selected container is killed in the selected pod.
- netem chaos: Network chaos such as delay, duplication, etc.
- network-partition: Simulate network partition.
- IO chaos: Simulate file system faults such as I/O delay, read/write errors, etc.
- time chaos: The selected pod will be injected clock skew.
- kernel chaos: The selected pod will be injected with (slab, bio, etc) errors.
Deploy and use
- Chaos Mesh - Your Chaos Engineering Solution for System Resiliency on Kubernetes
- Run Your First Chaos Experiment in 10 Minutes
See Development Guide.
Please reach out for bugs, feature requests, and other issues via:
- Following us on Twitter at @chaos_mesh.
- The #sig-chaos-mesh channel in the TiDB Community slack workspace.
- Filing an issue or opening a PR against this repo.
On the fourth Thursday of every month (unless otherwise specified), the Chaos Mesh community holds a monthly meeting by video conference to discuss the status of Chaos Mesh.
Chaos Mesh is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. See LICENSE for the full license text.
Chaos Mesh™ is a trademark of Beijing PingCap Xingchen Technology and Development Co., Ltd. © 2020 Beijing PingCap Xingchen Technology and Development Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.