Godot Trail System
Advanced 2D/3D Trail system.
If you like this plugin and want to thank me with a small donation feel free to do this here:
Godot Trail System is an advanced trail/ribbon plugin for the Godot Engine similar to Unity3D's system. The plugin offers full features in 3D and basic 2D functionality (it will be updated later).
- Variable width using Curve.
- Variable color using Gradient.
- Stretched and Tiled texture.
- Align to the view so it gives volume effect.
- Chaikin’s smoothing Algorithm PDF.
- Customizable via script.
- Open-Source under MIT license.
Editor Parameters (3D)
- Emit: Whether the system process or not, it must be disabled when using script functions.
- Distance: The distance between each point of the trail.
- Segments: The number of points that make up the path.
- Lifetime: Time in seconds before the point gets deleted.
- Base Width: The width of the trail if the "Width Profile" is not set up.
- Tiled Texture: Tile the UVs for the textures used in the material, it is calculated automatically if "Tilling" is set to.
- Tiling: Tile the UVs for the textures used in the material by a fixed number of times.
- Width Profile: Change the width of the trail according to the curve relative to the "Base Width".
- Color Gradient: Change the color of the trail according to the gradient, Material>Vertex Color>Use As Albedo must be enabled for this function to work.
- Smooth Iterations: Choose how much smoothing you want for the trail (3 levels), This is helpful if "Distance" is set to a large number.
- Smoothing Ratio: Smoothing factor for Chaikin's smoothing algorithm.
- Alignment: The method used to calculate the width normal of the trail:
- View (default): Makes the trail look 3D by aligning the geometry to face the camera.
- Normal: The points width orientation follow the parent object's orientation when the point was emitted (Sword Slash).
- Object: Makes all points of the trail width orientation follow the parent object's orientation (Tron like trail).
- Axe: The axes used to calculate the Alignment (doesn't work for "View" since it follows the camera).
- Show Wireframe: Show a wireframe overlay over the trail for debug purposes.
- Wireframe Color: The color of the wireframe.
- Wire Line Width: The width of the wireframe (currently not working).
*Similar parameters for 2D.*
You can use the trail from script to create Vehicle skid marks, Path (see 3D Navigation Mesh demo) and many more.
Example from 3D Navigation Mesh demo
extends Navigation def draw_path(): var src_points = get_simple_path(begin, end, true) get_node("trail").clear_points() for i in range(src_points.size()): var normal = get_closest_point_normal(src_points[i]).normalized() var offset = normal*0.1 var _transform = Transform(Basis(normal), src_points[i]+offset) get_node("trail").add_point(_transform) get_node("trail").smooth() get_node("trail").render(true)