Vim emulation for Visual Studio Code.
VSCodeNeoVim is a Visual Studio Code rewrite of VSCodeVim, changing everything to be backed by Neovim.
This is the temporary repo for VSCodeNeovim for development purposes. Please submit PRs/issues here. This extension will not be released on the marketplace, but I will be providing a .vsix for testing purposes.
Some notes on contributing:
- Much of the VSCodeVim code is still in here. The only places it's used are things like some utility Position functions, etc.
- Most of the "hard" work is in extension.ts.
- The rest of the work is in srcNV. NvUtil contains a lot of utility functions with working with neovim rpc requests. RPCHandlers contain handlers for RPC requests.
- You need to have the newest nvim (installed from nightly/master) installed. At the very least, you need a version of neovim that has this issue fixed: https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/6166
- The easiest way to test is to have the neovim instance for VSCode be created by connecting to a pipe. In order to do so, set NVIM_LISTEN_ADDRESS equal to
/tmp/nvim, open a neovim instance, and then open the extension. This allows you to see what's happening on the neovim side (any errors/prompts/etc.) This is how my typical setup for development looks: . There's some code to do this automatically, but it doesn't check if
/tmp/nvimis a socket, so it may still fail. Also, I think performance is slightly worse when you do this.
Other helpful documentation links: https://vscodevim.slack.com/files/U3EUW86U9/F62R31A5V/Integrating_Neovim_into_VSCode "Design" doc https://neovim.io/doc/user/api.html#api-global Neovim RPC API documentation https://neovim.io/doc/user/ui.html Neovim remote UI documentation. We currently aren't using it but will likely use it at some point in the future.
https://github.com/neovim/node-client The node client we're using
https://github.com/lunixbochs/ActualVim Another neovim backed vim plugin (for sublime)
Important discussions links: https://gitter.im/neovim/neovim For talking to the neovim devs https://gitter.im/neovim/node-client For talking to the neovim node-client devs https://vscodevim.slack.com/ For talking to the VSCodeVim devs
Important Neovim PRs to follow: https://github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/5269 Text Diffs (so we don't have to sync the entire buffer each time)