I found by chance this cool project from slavanap called Windows10ManualUpdate a few weeks ago and decided to take a closer look at it. It allows you to customize and download Windows 10 updates manually. Finally I managed to have a first look at it today and created a 1:1 fork. This is my first attempt to rebuild the Windows Update GUI. Its not finished yet and some elements were made unrecognizable with blur effects
You are welcome to take a closer look at it and support slavanaps project or this fork. I would be very sorry if the project goes under. It has definitely had to be better valued.
Before running this app you should turn off automatic updates installation (not a requirement). This could be done via Group Policy Object Editor MMC snap-in or via importing registry files into Windows Registry.
In order to do it via MMC:
- Press Win+R. Type mmc.exe. Hit Enter.
- Navigate menu File -> Add/Remove Snap-in. Select Group Policy Object Editor, click Add to add it to the list on the right. Click Finish, then OK.
- On the left navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update. Select that folder.
- In the list select Configure Automatic Updates policy and set it to Disabled. This setting will disable automatic updates check and installation, but if you navigate to Updates in Windows Setting you'll implicitly launch automatic updates check and installation.
- Change other options in MMC, if you really know what you're doing.
Another approach is the Registry files (for downloading right-click and save one of the .reg files):
This project is based upon
This software uses the following packages: