About The Project
Comprehensive Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) cleanup, optimization, maintenance, and configuration PowerShell script.
Free and open source: MIT License
- Deep cleaning search and removal of unnecessary updates by product title and update title.
- Removal of device drivers from WSUS repository (greatly improves speed, reliability, and reduces storage space needed).
- IIS Configuration validation and optimization.
- Disable device driver synchronization and caching.
- WSUS integrated update and computer cleanup.
- Microsoft best practice WSUS database optimization and re-indexing.
- Creation of daily and weekly optimization scheduled tasks.
Table of Contents
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Download Optimize-WsusServer.ps1
- From PowerShell run
Presents a series of prompts for user to initiate all recommended first run optimization tasks. Additional parameters will be ignored, as they will be redundant.
Disable device driver synchronization and caching.
Searches through most likely categories for unneeded updates and drivers to free up massive amounts of storage and improve database responsiveness. Prompts user to approve removal before deletion.
Validates current WSUS IIS configuration against recommended settings. Helps prevent frequent WSUS/IIS/SQL service crashes and the "RESET SERVER NODE" error.
Runs all of Microsoft's built-in WSUS cleanup processes.
Runs Microsoft's recommended SQL reindexing script.
Creates a scheduled task to run the OptimizeServer function nightly.
Creates a scheduled task to run the OptimizeDatabase function weekly.
Distributed under the MIT License. See
LICENSE for more information.
Project Link: https://github.com/awarre/Optimize-WsusServer
- The complete guide to Microsoft WSUS and Configuration Manager SUP maintenance
- Reindex the WSUS Database
- 10 Tips for the SQL Server PowerShell Scripter
- How to Check if an Index Exists on a Table in SQL Server
- Getting 2016 updates to work on WSUS
- Examples of Comment-Based Help
- WSUS GetUpdates Method
- WSUS IUpdate Properties