Graphical Unix-like operating system for x86 computers.
SerenityOS is a love letter to '90s user interfaces with a custom Unix-like core. It flatters with sincerity by stealing beautiful ideas from various other systems.
Roughly speaking, the goal is a marriage between the aesthetic of late-1990s productivity software and the power-user accessibility of late-2000s *nix. This is a system by us, for us, based on the things we like.
I (Andreas) regularly post raw hacking sessions and demos on my YouTube channel.
Sometimes I write about the system on my github.io blog.
- x86 (32-bit) kernel with pre-emptive multi-threading
- Hardware protections (SMEP, SMAP, UMIP, NX, WP, TSD, ...)
- IPv4 stack with ARP, TCP, UDP and ICMP protocols
- ext2 filesystem
- POSIX signals
- Purgeable memory
- /proc filesystem
- Pseudoterminals (with /dev/pts filesystem)
- Filesystem notifications
- CPU and memory profiling
- SoundBlaster 16 driver
- VMWare/QEMU mouse integration
- Launch/session daemon (SystemServer)
- Compositing window server (WindowServer)
- Text console manager (TTYServer)
- DNS client (LookupServer)
- Network protocols server (ProtocolServer)
- Software-mixing sound daemon (AudioServer)
- Desktop notifications (NotificationServer)
- HTTP server (WebServer)
- Telnet server (TelnetServer)
- DHCP client (DHCPClient)
- C++ templates and containers (AK)
- Event loop and utilities (LibCore)
- 2D graphics library (LibGfx)
- GUI toolkit (LibGUI)
- Cross-process communication library (LibIPC)
- HTML/CSS engine (LibWeb)
- Markdown (LibMarkdown)
- Audio (LibAudio)
- PCI database (LibPCIDB)
- Terminal emulation (LibVT)
- Out-of-process network protocol I/O (LibProtocol)
- Mathematical functions (LibM)
- ELF file handing (LibELF)
- POSIX threading (LibPthread)
- Higher-level threading (LibThread)
- Transport Layer Security (LibTLS)
- HTTP and HTTPS (LibHTTP)
- Unix-like libc and userland
- Shell with pipes and I/O redirection
- On-line help system (both terminal and GUI variants)
- Web browser (Browser)
- C++ IDE (HackStudio)
- IRC client
- Desktop synthesizer (Piano)
- Various desktop apps & games
- Color themes
How do I build and run this?
See the SerenityOS build instructions
Before opening an issue
Please see the issue policy.
Come hang out with us in
#serenityos on the Freenode IRC network.
- Andreas Kling - awesomekling
(And many more!) Feel free to append yourself here if you've made some sweet contributions. :)
SerenityOS is licensed under a 2-clause BSD license.