An effort to write a modern, fast, and interesting operating system in V.
Join the Discord chat (
- Keep it simple and easy to understand.
- Write it in V as much as possible.
- Target modern 64-bit architectures and CPU features.
- Explore V capabilities in bare metal programming.
- Break the compiler as much as possible.
- Build a minimal and useful platform for software [especially written in V :^)], allowing for better control, isolation, and smaller attack surface in VMs.
- Having fun.
The following packages need to be installed on the system in order to build vOS:
qemu to test it.
For Ubuntu or Debian based distros, the command is:
sudo apt install build-essential git nasm meson m4 texinfo python3 python3-pip parted wget pkg-config uuid-dev libfuse-dev qemu-system-x86
It is necessary to fetch
sudo pip3 install xbstrap
To build the distro which includes the cross toolchain necessary to build kernel and ports, run:
The OS can then be built with
make and ran within qemu with